Free SKU code template
Skus, also know as product codes, are a key ingredient to successfully managing your product range. They allow you to create a unique internal reference number for each of your products. Using the sku code as the image name is also a great way to keep your product images organised.
We've provided a free sku code template in excel so that you can generate product codes in a way that is appropriate for your business. Create your sku code pattern in seconds!
Why not just use the barcode (GTINs)?
You might be tempted to use barcodes (GTINs) as your SKU codes. However there's a couple of reasons why it might be better to use SKUs.
- If you resell other people's products, the barcodes may change from time to time, which could put your product catalogs out of sync.
- Your barcodes may be too broad for inventory management, for example a barcode may cover several colors of a product, which is not going to help your team to get the right product to the customer.
What about a serial number or a sequential number?
The problem with using sequential numbers or serial numbers as skus, is that if you plan to add to a range in the future, it's not going to be easy for people to associate the number with the product (without memorizing what could be a very very long list of skus).
For example, If all your existing product SKUs are sequential number strings, (001,002,003 etc) the relationship of a new product to other products in the same range will not be apparent.
The benefits of SKUs
A SKU often includes details such as the manufacturer, product name, material, size, color, packaging, some even include details about the warranty. We have found that people often use between 3 to 5 product attributes to create the sku. For example, a clothing company might use a SKU code such as:
- Product Name: Brand - JCOOL
- Attribute 1: Type - JEAN (Jeans)
- Attribute 2: Color - BLU (Blue)
- Attribute 3: Waist Length - 34L
- Attribute 4: Warehouse - DUB (Dublin)
are unique to your company as your primary internal reference numbers.
One question we get asked quite frequently is 'How do I drag the formula down indefinitely to make a continuous sku list?'
To generate more lines, simply
- Unhide columns G-K (this validates for duplicates) and
- Then you can drag down the formula into as many lines as you wish!
If you need more than 5 product attributes, please contact us at support[@]istockist.com and we'll get back to you with help.
Download your free sku template below.Download SKU code excel template